Saturday, April 3, 2010

Urbanization

Traversing different regions of london city by the tube and on foot. I see a lot of garbage, homeless, general filth around - issues faced by all 'BIG cities' around the globe.

I realized, how much I like my, modest life in a small German town. While cities have all that buzz and energy, I'm not sure if I would like to be part of it day to day. I see so many people running aroud, trying to catch that tube/ bus...a friend who is waiting.


I recently read a statistic that claimed that majority of Germans live in towns and villages. I would like to think, there is some 'strategic' plan behind this to prevent masses from crowding the cities. German towns like the one in which I live in are very self sufficient. For most day to day requirements, there is no need to venture out. I love the fact that I'm still close to cities but not have to live in one.

I am a proponent of making it possible for people to have a  lucrative, good lifestyle in a town/ village.
Everyone having to move to a 'city' to have a livelihood is simply not sustainable in my perspective. The trend however is more and more towards 'urbanization'. Sadly not enough is being done globally to upgrade the towns/villages to stop this unsustainable flow towards cities.

No comments: