Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Houses...(of natives)

Some of my friends have been gracious enough to invite me over to their houses, houses of their families. I feel honoured that they feel comfortable enough to have me in their most 'personal space.' This insight into their space is very interesting.

I notice that 'apartments' living is increasingly becoming homogenous in this 'global village.'

However people who 'own' their 'houses' (not apartments) go all out to give their house a character. Houses I visited have a noticable collection of art in there. Each collectible is carefully positioned in the most apt of places. Some of these are old memoribilias, some are things collected during their travels. Each very interesting and mysterious (as if they all had some interesting story to tell).
Many of these 'houses' have a garden, this too extends the character consistently. For some it is 'zen' inspired, for others its more rustic and wild.
What totally blows me over is most of these families do all of this themselves. With little professional help. It is so admirable. First, to have such exquisite taste to pick the right things for their house, place them in the right places, pick the right sort of plants, take care of them...its all a lot of effort.

There is a beautiful sense of romance to create this character to their house, maintain it, and build upon this character interestingly.
I experienced how'overwhelming' a visit to the Baumarkt (place to buy stuff for the house) can be. There are endless options for the smallest things.
So I know exactly the efforts involved in having such a nice "home." No wonder it is said that Germans are very picky about their house. It is no wonder that while renting an apartments, it is totally bare - leaving all room for the new occupants to give it the identity they want to.


I admire the kind of passion and thought they put in to make their house a home. I do hope some of this rubs off on me while I am here.

3 comments:

Daniel Markwig said...

It's really strange to be under the object lense of anthropological studies ... ;c)

Unknown said...

:-) these are the 'differences' experienced by an outsider

Daniela said...

I have to agree with Daniel - I never realized that Germans are an exotic species to be marvelled at...:)
Keep going, I find it interesting to see my country and our habits through your eyes...