Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Business travel by train

For the first time, I travelled by train on a business trip to Amsterdam. I just loved it. Although it made me wake up at ungodly hours, I was immediately on the go to my destination - unlike all that wasted time spent getting to the airport, being there a couple of hours before, queing up for baggage drop off, queuing up again for security checks, get everything out of the bags only to put them back in, wait at the boarding gate, then wait on the runway...

In the ICE (inter-city express) on the other hand, there's a little cafe on board to grab breakfast, I looked out of the window at the lovely countryside along the way and best of all, I got off the train, in the center of the city of Cologne and walked in to the beautiful Cathedral before the next train to Amsterdam.

I noticed there were many other business travelers in the train. On my way back, they were a majority. When two american backpacking girls next to me got in, confused about their seating, their huge, overused backpacks banging against everyone around, they caused quite a ruckus amongst the suit clad business folks :)

I will choose train travel any day over flights or driving for such short distance business trips.

No comments: