Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Grocery stores

Ever since I learnt that Rewe is open untill 10:00 pm, it has become the (default) grocery store for me. However, depending on where I am, I have also occassionally shopped for groceries in other stores.
What's interesting is the amount of 'indian' stuff that has crept into these stores. Where they always there and I never noticed? Or is this a recent phenomenon?

I have seen packed 'naan' of various flavours; pickles, chutneys, briyani, papadam...recently Lidl had 1 week of Asian items. This included 'onion bhajji' and 'samosas', 'tikka masala...' its amazing. I never imagined having onion bhajji or papadams being available in a regular grocery store in Germany!!!

Wonder if these grocery stores stock up such items across the country? I would be extremely surprised if the answer is "yes."

No comments: